Monday, November 11, 2013

Leftover Soup

Sweet serendipity is following delicious smells downstairs and finding a warm, tasty soup waiting for you. For lunch today, my Mom put together a soup without a recipe; just a hodgepodge of leftovers from the night before: bits of chicken, broccoli, mushrooms with a fancy French name I can't recall, cheddar cheese, etc. It was warm and nourishing, and filled me up inside in the most pleasant way. It was a soup that can never be duplicated in quite the same way. It will be new each time it is made.

I am still working on cultivating an enjoyment for cooking. I love to eat, but I would rather just make a piece of toast for myself than a satisfying soup. But sometimes toast isn't enough. Sometimes I need a bowl of hot soup, or a roast chicken with mashed potatoes. Alongside Pride and Prejudice, I am also reading My Life in France by Julia Child, seeking the inspiration to really be a part of the culinary world. So far it's not really working, although it is a fun book to read. I would just rather read a book or knit a sweater than prepare a meal. I guess we can't be good at everything.


2 comments:

  1. Sweet Lydia, although my Angelica has learned her way around a kitchen enough to prepare meals, she will never be a gourmet cook like her sister is becoming. Neither will she be an artist whose work people are moved by. However, God has gifted her with the ability to communicate with the deaf and to express that language in a way that moves His people, even those who hear with their ears and not their eyes, closer to Him. I am not sure exactly what God has gifted you with, but I am certain that He has given you exactly what you need to bring glory to Him. Rest in that... even if it takes you between the pages of a book or holding a pair of knitting needles. It seems to me that someone has to write the books to change the coming generation. I remember how a quilted blanket once changed my life, how a knitted shawl gave our family the strength to face an illness that I believed would swallow us whole. Don't expect to conform to what you think you should be - just throw your arms open wide and revel in what God directs you to. You are an amazing young lady and I am certain that one day I will stand back and watch what God is doing and tell people I met you when you were just a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great...now I want soup... like _right_ now. ;)

    ReplyDelete