Thursday, May 30, 2013

"That was Magic."

Some days I just wish I were a different person, that I had a different personality or different talents. Writing or playing music when you are not enthusiastic can be so very difficult. I try to force myself and sometimes it's a disaster. Other times it rewards me and makes me feel lively again. Sometimes all it takes is to say, "You know what, I'm not going to play my harp today. I'll play another time when I really want to." Other times all I have to do is sit down before that angelic instrument and I'm at home.

There was something all wrong about yesterday. Perhaps it was the fact that my Dad was away on a Wednesday when he usually only goes away on Tuesdays. Maybe I'm still getting used to my sister living in the house next door. The house is different with her moved out. And maybe I was just having a bad day.

My harp needed to be played, I try not to go more than two days without playing it under any circumstances and I know I hadn't played it the day before, but I was uninspired. I told myself I would just play a few songs, no need for a concert. So I did.

A few days before I had pulled out some classical pieces that had not seen daylight for quite some time. My repertoire includes classical music, some Celtic, hymns, show tunes, and popular songs. (Show tunes and pop songs are my favorites.) Classical music has pretty much always been my least favorite category, even to the point of my detesting some of the pieces I had to learn in the days of lessons. But you can't eat chocolate croissants and strawberries all the time. Every now and then you need some wholesome wheat bread, cheese, and vegetables. Sometimes the pop songs are not enough for me, and I need the nourishment of old classical music.

As I played through a Sonatina by J.L. Dussek, Automn by Marcel Grandjany, and Etude de Concert by Marcel Tournier, I remembered how beautiful they were. The strings made a sound, light and tinkling, that could summon fairies. Again I wondered, as I have too many times, "Why don't I play these more often? They're beautiful."

When I strummed the final flourish of Etude de Concert, my Mom came into the room (turns out I had summoned a fairy!) and asked me what I had just played. When I told her, she said, "That was magical." I wholeheartedly agreed.

This is Victoria.
 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your writing just as much as I enjoy hearing your music.

    My fairy child . . . such bliss to be your fairy mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post Lydia. I would love to hear that piece some time. Perhaps you could post a measure (or two or three or twenty) in a video here. Only if you feel like it of course ;)

    ReplyDelete